What Is FUE Hair Transplantation?
FUE is a hair follicle removal technique and we can say that it is the most popular hair follicle removal technology both in Turkey and abroad. FUE, which stands for Follicular Unit Extraction, consists of the procedure of collecting hair follicles one by one using special needle-tipped devices with a diameter of 0.7 to 0.9 mm, called punch and transplanting them one by one to the determined bald area with the help of a micromotor . The size of the punch to be used is determined according to the hair root thickness of the patient. It can be used 0.7 for thin hair and 0.9 for thicker hair. FUE has managed to become a method that has increased the interest and confidence in hair transplantation in recent years, with its ability to permanently compensate for the gap created by unavoidable male pattern hair loss.
Why is FUE Hair Transplantation Advantageous?
- Healing process is shorter than other techniques, it is the gold standard in hair transplantation.
- Post-operative complaints such as tension and loss of sensation in the procedure area are not expected.
- is a less painful technique than FUT when performed with sedation rather than local anesthesia.
- Since no incision is made, there is no risk of scar formation due to the incision
- More grafts can be collected
- Success rate is higher
- Offers natural results when done with a professional team
Who Is a candidate for FUE Hair Transplantation?
The most important factor that determines the success rate of the FUE hair transplant technique is whether there are enough healthy hair follicles in the donor area. The area where the hair follicles will be collected before the transfer is called the donor area. Although the nape area behind the two ears is considered the most ideal donor area for the FUE technique, the beard area can also be used as a donor area if necessary. The biggest advantage of the FUE technique is that hair transplantation does not result in an artificial appearance. In order to achieve a natural appearance, the hair follicles in the donor area must be of sufficient quantity and of suitable quality for transplantation. The eligibility criteria for people who want to have hair transplantation with the FUE technique can be listed as follows:
- General state of health, relatively good for the surgical procedure
- Able to be clear and realistic about expectations
- Psychologically ready for hair transplant
- Knowing that in cases where there is not enough hair follicles in the nape area, transfer can be made from the beard or other areas of the body.
- Knowing that the procedure can be divided into sessions and not completed in a single session, in order to avoid problems with blood flow.
How Is FUE Hair Transplantation Performed?
Hair transplantation is a procedure that requires meticulous planning and manual labor. Expectations and promises must meet on a realistic common ground so that this step taken to eliminate the psychological and physiological deprivation caused by hair loss does not result in disappointment. Persons, in their requests and demands; experts, on the other hand, are obliged to be realistic in their promises. Before planning FUE hair transplantation, hair density and quality in the donor area are evaluated with hair analyzes performed with special devices. With the hair analysis, it can be easily determined how many follicular units-grafts, will be obtained from the nape area. By limiting the areas that need transplantation, it is determined how many hair follicles the determined area needs and whether the donor area has a reserve to meet this need. The position of the hairline is determined and the patient is informed in detail about the image that can be obtained. Hair transplant operations performed with the FUE technique are subject to certain stages. Each step must be completed with care, diligence and meticulousness.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT:
- Leave aspirin and its derivatives or vitamin supplements, products that increase blood flow or thin the blood, and products containing Vitamin E at least 2 weeks before hair transplantation.
- These drugs and derivatives increase your risk of bleeding. It affects the possibility of bleeding during the procedure and the process of the procedure.
- Consult us before using any over-the-counter or over-the-counter medication during this process.
- If you have fever, cough, shortness of breath or body aches before the procedure, please contact us.
- Stop using topical hair care products that increase blood flow to the scalp . ( minoxidil etc )
- Stay away from alcohol at least 10 before the procedure. Alcohol makes you more likely to bleed.
ONE WEEK BEFORE FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT:
- Stay away from cigarettes and nicotine products one week before your procedure. Nicotine constricts blood vessels. It makes it difficult for oxygen-rich blood to reach the surgical site.
- Please refrain from any daily exercise 3-7 days before the surgery. (Weight training, bodybuilding, strenuous cardio exercise , etc. )
BEFORE FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT:
- Your hair transplant assistant calls you and invites you to the clinic. Here he shares with you the relevant documents that you need to sign. These documents include an approval form, information form, KVK form, and any questions you may have are answered at this stage.
- Blood tests, COVID test are also done at this stage.
- Wash your body and hair with a mild daily shampoo the day before the operation.
- Make sure you take all your prescription medications with you
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 at night, as you will receive anesthesia the next day.
FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT DAY:
- After the operation, you can choose a buttoned or zippered shirt to wear and take off easily.
- When you come to the clinic, you are greeted by the hair transplant assistant.
- You will be taken to the room for your change of clothes.
- Your vascular access is opened.
- Your photos are taken.
- Your hair is hit to zero.
- Aziz Aksöz makes your hair transplant planning and determines the location of the hairline. In the meantime, you can ask Aziz Aksöz and the team any questions you may have.
- Before starting the operation, sedation is given so that you do not feel pain and suffering . Sedation is a kind of anesthesia method and it has the feature of calming the patient and preventing the pain he feels.
- In hair transplantation, hair follicles are taken from the donor area in the first place , then channels are opened in the area to be transplanted.
- After you have your lunch, the last stage of planting is done again.
- Meanwhile, during planting, the drugs you need to take that day are given intravenously (antibiotics, stomach protectors, pain relievers).
- After the operation is completed, dressing is applied to the donor area.
- Your clothes are dressed
- Blood pressure is checked.
- The medicines you will take and the instructions for use are explained by your hair transplant assistant.
- Information is given about which position you will sleep in.
- If your general condition is good, you will be discharged after the vascular access is removed.
It may take about 8 hours to complete the stages in FUE hair transplant surgery. After the procedure is completed, the patient can be rested and discharged on the same day.
What Is the Healing Process After FUE Hair Transplantation?
The recovery process in the FUE hair transplant procedure is also subject to stages. What is meant by the healing process is not just the patient’s physical recovery. New hair formation and development should also be considered as a part of the healing process. It may be necessary to be patient for about 1 year for clear visual results of hair transplant surgery performed with the FUE technique.
- The pain that may occur in the first 3 days is expected to be mild. If necessary, it can be controlled with painkillers.
- Redness may occur in the transfer area and donor area for 2-3 weeks.
- Complications such as itching and swelling are expected to disappear after 1 week. The process will be monitored by the doctor, and necessary measures will be taken to prevent this process from prolonging.
- In cases of itching, the operation area should not be touched.
- The first wash after hair transplantation is done on the 3rd day. One of the most important issues to be considered after the surgery is washing. The first wash is carried out by the team with medical shampoo and a certain technique. In the meantime, the patient is informed in detail about which product and how to wash the head area in the next 10 days.
- After hair transplantation, the patient should take all kinds of precautions to protect the procedure area from contact, impact and other forcing factors. While determining the lying position, the neck area should be supported and the operating area should be protected against contact and friction.
- For 3 weeks, all physical activities that may be challenging should be avoided.
- The surgical area should not be exposed to the harmful effects of sunlight.
Other Details About FUE Hair Transplantation
What is a Shock Hair Loss?
Sudden hair loss, which causes panic after hair transplantation, is an expected situation. Shock shedding is considered a natural part of the recovery process after hair transplant surgery. It is caused by the adaptation problem of the hair follicles during the collection and planting stages of the grafts. During the adaptation process, the parts remaining on the scalp surface in the transplantation area react by shedding. These shedding are needed in order for the healthy hair follicles under the skin to go out and grow.